Chester ladies 3s 1

Whitchurch ladies 1s 9

The ladies 1s was played away against Chester 3s and they finished with a flourish, showing they deserved a place in division 2.

From the push back Whitchurch kept possession moving the ball around the Chester players. Within minutes of the game Hebe Dixon shot the ball into the net for their first.

All Chester could do was to hold back in defence as Whitchurch kept attacking. Lots of pressure from forwards Stephanie Stanton and Izzy Huxley allowed Dixon in the dee again to score their second. Chester broke a couple of times but were quickly picked up by defenders Millie Edwards and Emma Harper moving the ball out wide to Sophie Ward and Helena Dannenfeldt.

More shots on goal for Whitchurch and Ellie Windsor managed to slip one passed the keeper, quickly followed by a deflection from Jessica Carruthers. Whitchurch had a run of short corners which allowed Dixon to strike another into the Chester goal.

Captain Catherine Winter-Gresty and Lisa Sullivan protected the middle of the pitch and kept forcing the ball wide, Whitchurch kept moving the ball accurately around Chester and a fast moving ball was collected by Dannenfeldt and slotted into the corner.

Dixon scored their sixth goal from a strike from top dee just before half time.

Chester had a change round of players and seemed a little stronger, quickly winning a short corner and scoring from it. This didn't put Whitchurch off as they came back with some fantastic movement up the pitch and Lisa Sullivan saw a gap from top dee and scored the seventh.

Jessica Carruthers deflected the eighth from a shot in from Windsor. Whitchurch keeper Maddy Sugden had a quiet game only touching the ball twice clearing the ball out to Millie Edwards.

Chester dropped more players in to defend but Whitchurch just had time for another goal from Hebe Dixon before the whistle went. A fantastic game to finish on for the ladies 1s and a promotion into division 2.

For more hockey, see this week's Whitchurch Herald