Firefighters tackle second 'deliberate' blaze in a week

 <i>(Image: Archive)</i>
(Image: Archive)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

Fire crews have tackled a second fire in a week that is believed to have been deliberately set.

Ellesmere Fire Station confirmed that a fire that they attended on Wednesday evening (May 5) is thought to have been set on purpose.

Crews were called to Birch Road in Ellesmere at around 7.30pm after reports of a fire in the open.

When crews arrived at the scene they found a “fire involving undergrowth”.

A spokesperson for Ellesmere Fire Station said: “The Ellesmere crew were mobilised to reports of a Fire in the open in Ellesmere, this incident was confirmed as a deliberate Fire setting incident.

“A small fire was located on a footpath and extinguished with one knapsack."

This is the second deliberate fire the crew from Ellesmere have attended this week after being called to a fire in the open in Oswestry on Tuesday (May 5).

In that incident on Llwyn Road, Ellesmere Fire Station said there had been a “deliberate and dangerous attempt to ignite batteries using aerosols as an accelerant”.

A spokesperson for the Fire Station said: “If you know or have concerns about Young people involved in this please contact Shropshire Fire and Rescue for advice and support through the Fire setter’s scheme.”

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos