A "kind and caring" mum-of-three from Whitchurch died by misadventure, having been found with aerosol cans beside her.

Christina Theresa Morgan was found dead at her new home in Whitchurch on Wednesday, June 26.

An inquest was opened in August, when it was adjourned until Friday (November 24), when it was concluded by Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin deputy coroner Heath Westerman in Shirehall, Shrewsbury.


Speaking after the coroner delivered a verdict of death by misadventure, Christina’s parents said her death was a shock, as she left behind three teenage children.

They said: “It came as a great shock when Christina died.

“As the coroner said few days previously, she had seemed very positive, and she was looking forward to the future.

“She was a kind and caring person and a loving mum.

“We were shocked that the substance abuse, which we knew about, could have that effect – we don’t think people are really aware.”

The inquest heard that Christina spoke to her father a few days before she died, when she asked him for financial help.

In the police report, it was stated that Mr Morgan said she seemed happy with the new flat in a refuge in the town, and didn’t sound drunk.

The hearing was told the 37-year-old was found by a member of staff from the refuge on the morning of June 26.

The staff checked on Christina the day before but, in their report, they said she seemed asleep as she was laying on the bed.

Another resident also tried calling her, but she didn’t answer.

What happens at an inquest and what can the press report?

Reporting on inquests is one of the most difficult jobs faced by any journalist, but there are important reasons why local newspapers attend coroner’s court hearings and report on proceedings.

Here we will try and answer some of your questions about what will happen, what can be reported and why.

In the police report it was also noted that there were “several” aerosol cans in the room.

Following a medical examiner’s postmortem assessment, it was determined that she had died from acute butane toxicity.

It was recorded in a statement by the police that there was no indication of suspicious circumstances or third-party involvement.

Mr Westerman has concluded that Mrs Morgan died by death of misadventure, and he said he was satisfied with the evidence that she didn’t intend to end her life.