PLANS to convert The Old Fire Station in a Cheshire village into accommodation have received the green light.

The proposal had been submitted to convert the Grade II-listed building in Park Road, Tarporley into additional accommodation, adjoining the Old Police Station which had previously been converted into a private residence.

The Old Fire Station had an interesting history, with documentation explaining the history of the listed building.

It was built in about 1865 for the Tarporley Volunteer Fire Brigade, with toilets added to the building in about 1938/39.

It ceased to be a fire station in 1957 when the fire brigade relocated to a building on the High Street. At this time, the building was still owned by Cheshire Fire Brigade and the building was used for storage.

In 2001, a trust created the Old Fire Museum, which opened by appointment, and ran until 2016.

After it was bought by the owners of the adjacent Old Police Station in 2019, it was decided to lodge plans to convert the building into additional accommodation.


A design and access statement explained there had been other potential purchasers for the building, including a barbershop and a sweet shop, but it was considered "doubtful" those business ventures would have been viable due to the lack of parking, access and that area of Tarporley being mostly residential.

No proposals were put forward to continue running the museum.

Proposed works to the building included creating a link between the Old Fire Station section and the Old Police Station, and sprucing up the "mediocre" look of the building as it stands at present.

It was also proposed to create a mezzanine area at one end and enlarge the toilets area to create a shower room, as well as creating a small kitchenette area.

The design and access statement added: "The proposals would allow the building to continue in a viable way. To do so it is necessary to introduce heating, electricity and other services and to provide insulation, where practical, to the floor and roof.

"These changes allow the building to adapt and have a meaningful existence as there is very little other practical use to which it could be put."

The Conservation Team raised some concerns in relation to the loss of the fire doors as a result of the proposed redevelopment, as well as the placement of the rooflights and the addition of a half circle window. However, following additional information and amended plans, the team supported the revised proposal, subject to conditions.

No objections were made by Tarporley Parish Council or members of the public.

The plans were approved subject to a few minor planning conditions.

Tarporley Fire Station later moved to the current site on Birch Heath Road, where it now exists as an on-call community fire station. It was officially opened in January 1994.

The former High Street fire station venue was run as The Old Fire Station Chocolate Shop until its closure earlier this year.