Whitchurch Alport 1 Malvern Town 1

(Whitchurch won 5-4 on penalties)

WHITCHURCH Alport completed a stunning victory over Hellenic League Premier Division side Malvern Town to book a place in the third round of the Buildbase FA Vase for the first time in their history

The Hellenic League Premier Division side arrived in north Shropshire as overwhelming favourites but it was Luke Goddard's men who etched a new chapter in the club's history on a never-to-be-forgotten day at The KMJ Mortgages Stadium.

Ivan Urventev narrowly failed to convert Alex Hughes' inswinging corner inside the opening two minutes as the Reds pressed from the opening whistle.

The visitors also came close in the opening stages with Louis Loader's free-kick rattling the woodwork before home goalkeeper Ellis Allen was forced into action to deny Joe Bates.

Bates continued to pose the greatest threat to the home side's rearguard, firing wide after 20 minutes, before Alport settled.

However Alport were indebted to goalkeeper Ellis for a fine save to deny Mark Clark at the end of the first-half as Malvern were left cursing the form of the home No1.

Alport began the second-half on top with Jud Ellis' dipping shot over the bar handing visiting goalkeeper Scott Blackburn a reminder of his threat.

The deadlock was broken with 20 minutes remaining with Harry Clark heading home unmarked from six yards as Alport's FA Vase adventure looked to be coming to an end.

The Reds were galvanised into action and five minutes later the tie was once again even with Alex Hughes holding his nerve from the spot after the home side were awarded a penalty following a handball.

Alport could have snatched a last gasp win only for Urventev to fluff his lines after good work by Jimmy Garlick.

The Moldovan atoned with the successful conversion of the first spot kick as tie went to a penalty shoot-out.

Ellis saved Malvern's first penalty before Jack Griffiths fired Alport ahead with their second and was followed by Jack Griffiths, Garlick and Celson Segunda in finding the net.

The stage was set for Alex Hughes who once again held his nerve from the spot to fire Alport to victory and himself into the annals of club history.

ALPORT: Ellis, Carpenter, J Griffiths, S Griffiths, Simms, Minshall, Bath, Skelton, Urventev, Ellis, Hughes. Subs: Segunda, Berman, Garlick, Ajibola, Annikey, White, Lazenby.