THE INVESTIGATING officer into the death of a cyclist in a hit and run incident in Coton on Thursday says he expects important details to be released in the coming days.

Sergeant Alex Saxton of West Mercia Police’s Operational Policing Unit confirmed an investigation was underway after a man’s death was confirmed at the scene.

The incident happened at around 11.30pm on Thursday, July 30, when a 58-year-old man was hit by a car on the B5476 in Coton, between Whitchurch and Wem.

Despite the efforts of paramedics and nearby witnesses, the man – who has not been officially named – died at the scene.

A second cyclist, a woman, suffered minor injuries. The car failed to stop at the scene and West Mercia Police launched an appeal for witnesses following the collision.

“No further details have been released yet due to investigative actions still being carried out,” said Sergeant Saxton.

“We anticipate that further details will be released by the press office over the next couple of days.”

While no further details have been released, officers are continuing to carry out enquiries and are appealing for witnesses, including any motorists on the road around the time of the collision who have dash cam footage.

Anyone with information is asked to contact West Mercia Police on 101 quoting reference 797_I_300720 or alternatively information can be passed to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) spokesman said: “WMAS was called to reports of a collision involving a car and a cyclist on the B5476, near Post Office Lane, in Coton, Whitchurch at 11.28pm (Thursday).

“An ambulance and paramedic officer were responded to the scene.

“When ambulance staff arrived, they found a cyclist in a critical condition with bystanders performing excellent CPR on the man.

“Ambulance staff continued resuscitation efforts on scene but sadly nothing could be done to save the man and he was confirmed deceased.

“A second cyclist, a woman, was also assessed after suffering minor injuries in the incident but didn’t require hospital treatment.”