North West Counties Football League Division One South

Stockport Town 2

Ellesmere Rangers 2

Ellesmere Rangers picked up their second point of the season after a hard-fought draw with Stockport Town on Saturday.

After taking an early lead, Rangers conceded two second half goals to fall behind on the scoreline.

It was left to Tawanda Melusi to grab an equaliser in the final minute of the game to save the side from suffering a 10th league defeat of the season.

Rangers almost took the lead in the opening few minutes when William Wells capitalised on a defensive error and found himself one-on-one with the home goalkeeper, but Dimeji Willan stood strong to deny the forward.

Wells was on target shortly afterwards however, when he broke through again and made sure he found the net to give his side the lead.

All was going well for the Ellesmere men, who looked as though they would double their lead before the break.

Brendon Price drilled an effort through a crowd of players, but Willan caught it well, before Seth Ellis had a long-range effort denied.

They held on until after half-time, but they were only able to hold onto their clean sheet for nine minutes of the second half.

Reece Skelton restored parity with his strike in the 54th minute.

The game was very lively with both sets of players looking as though they had lost some discipline, and this showed when Stockport’s Joshua Robinson was dismissed for a foul on the hour mark.

This did not deter his side though, as they continued to put pressure on Rangers and were rewarded with a goal.

Connor Bass fired his effort home with 10 minutes remaining.

With Rangers looking set for another defeat, they were thrown a lifeline in the last minute of the game when the referee awarded a free-kick right on the edge of the penalty area.

Melusi stepped up and fired a powerful effort into the net to salvage a point for his team.

Rangers remain bottom of the table and sit four points from safety after 12 games.

They are next in action on Saturday, October 12, when they travel to face Cammell Laird 1907.