A gang of men who targeted cash machines across the UK, including an attack in Whitchurch have been jailed at Shrewsbury Crown Court.

The men made more than £1,000,000 and caused more than £200,000 worth of damage after they attacked ATMs between June 2017 and September 2018.

The group used specialist cutting equipment, stolen from fire stations, to force entry into stores and attack the cash machines.

Detective Chief Inspector Gavin Kinrade was the senior investigating officer with West Mercia Police's Serious and Organised Crime Unit.

"The offenders were part of an organised crime group responsible for a string of ATM attacks across the UK which netted them a considerable amount of cash," he said. "The gang was motivated by greed and gave no consideration to the damage and destruction they left behind.

"These crimes had a huge impact on the community with many of the cash machines the group targeted the only source of withdrawing cash for people in the area, some of which haven't been replaced. Not only that the group were prepared to use violence to commit the offences and stole vital specialist life-saving equipment from fire stations with total disregard to the public.

"This was a complex and challenging investigation and I would like to congratulate my team for bringing the matter to a successful conclusion. I would also like to thank colleagues at the other police forces who supported our investigation and assisted in collating evidence."

In Shropshire, the gang targeted ATMs at Tesco in Whitchurch, as well as Albrighton and Newport Fire Stations were targeted and a machine attacked in Ludlow.

The men were sentenced at Shrewsbury Crown Court after previously pleading guilty to conspiracy to burgle and converting criminal property, with sentences as:

Michael Solomon Stubbs, 32, of Asheridge Close, Wednesfield, was sentenced to six years and eight months; Noel Anthony Reilly, 39 of Wychall Lane, Birmingham, to seven years and six months; Martin Steadman, 24 of Luce Road, Low Hill, Wolverhampton for seven years and six months; Mohammed Maneer Khan, 31 of Great Hampton Street, Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton was sentenced to four years and 10 months and Marcus Burton, 33 of May Farm Close, Hollywood, Birmingham, has been sentenced to five years 10 months.

Serious Crime Prevention orders were also granted against Steadman, Stubbs, Reilly and Burton. These will place a number of restrictions on the defendants when they are released from prison and are designed to protect the public.