Change of fortunes as RGC humble Warriors


Rugby correspondent

RGC1404 20

CLIVE Griffiths’ first home game in charge got off to a flying start with victory over a strong Worcester Warriors A side that included many first team squad members.

On a cold evening, with the pitch quite heavy underfoot, this was never going to be a free-flowing game.

However, Worcester came charging out of the blocks and looked like they may blow RGC1404 away in the first 15 minutes.

Joe Carlisle was controlling things from fly-half, but RGC’s defence held strong and they survived the barrage only 3-0 down.

After weathering the storm, the RGC forwards started to take control; working their rolling mauls well and providing good, quick ball for the backs.

This pressure soon turned to points and they were 6-3 up thanks to two penalties from Stephen Woodward.

Further penalties followed and just before the half-time interval RGC1404 found themselves camped on Worcester’s try line, but their stubborn defence held out and so the whistle went with the score being 12-6 to RGC1404.

Something must have been said in the Gogs’ changing room at half-time as inside centre Nick Blevin started to come into the game more, creating gaps in the Worcester defence.

One of these breaks saw the ball being shipped out quickly and winger Nathan Rees capitalised with a try in the corner.

Although this wasn’t converted, a penalty did soon follow and RGC found themselves 20-6 in front.

As the early defending had revitalised RGC in the first half, the same could be said towards the end of the game for Worcester who came back at their hosts.

Winger Rees, so recently the hero, was now the villain as he was sent to the sin-bin for not rolling away after a tackle.

The extra man soon paid dividends and the Worcester full back found a hole in the thinly spread defence to score in the corner.

The conversion attempt was missed and the score remained 20-11 at the final whistle.

This was a brilliant result for RGC1404, as Worcester had inflicted a heavy 72-3 defeat on the hosts on their last visit to Parc Eirias.

Coach Clive Griffiths was delighted with his new look team and he said: “This result shows a massive turnaround in the fortunes of North Wales rugby in the last 12 months.

“I’m naturally delighted to put one over on my former club, but more importantly I’m delighted to see the team gelling further and becoming a cohesive unit. There are still areas to improve upon, and we will address these in the next few weeks.”

Following the victory over Glamorgan Wanderers two weeks earlier, Griffiths added: “This is the creation of a small piece of history for RGC1404.

“To have defeated Premiership teams from England and Wales in consecutive games is no mean feat and I’m absolutely delighted for those who initiated this project. It took Worcester 79 minutes to unlock our defence and that was only once we were down to 14 men.

“The game may have not been ideal for rugby purists, but we are working hard to look at the new laws at the breakdown area and once these have been addressed, we will start playing rugby to delight the supporters.”

A crowd of more than 500 watched the game at Parc Eirias, defying the freezing night to cheer on the team.

“I hope that we can develop a hardcore support to get as many people as possible to Parc Eirias,” added Griffiths.

See full story in the Whitchurch Herald

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read